The Flower Pot

I love to take photographs of flowers and I have a photographic library full of them. As much as I love flowers, especially wildflowers, I am notoriously bad at growing them. I plan to post shots of cultivars and wildflowers in a wide range of colors and from a wide range of places.

Thursday, July 08, 2010

Bloomin' Fountain (2)

  
*****
Another shot of the fountain at the campus where I work.
Taken: 5/18/2010
I occasionally like to check out the new blooms on my way into work in the morning.
*****
*****
Large plots of plantings surround the fountain. As the seasons change, so do the flowers.
 *****
*****
Blazing Star; Liatris
Taken: 6/25/2010
For more information, click here.
*****
*****
Walk a little further and you might see a dragon fly taking a break in his quest for necter.
*****
 
*****
Hibiscus - Hollyhocks?
Taken: 6/25/2010
These blooms are huge and I wonder if they are hibiscus or hollyhocks;
both members of the mallow family of Malvaceae.
Whatever their name, they are gorgeous just the same.
*****
  
*****
Taken: 6/25/2010
A closer view of the papery petals.
*****
*****
Just a few steps away are the vibrant reds. Don't they just pop against the green leaves?
*****
*****
One last look before we have to leave the garden and head to the office.
What a nice way to start the day.
I hope yours started of as nicely.
*****
  
 *****

2 comments:

Roan said...

Now that's a great way to start the day! Beautiful!

Rosie @ Centre of Interest said...

Those are wonderful photos plus what a great walk each morning to the office. Those flowers look more like hibiscus to me - for me I think of Hollyhocks being about 5 or 6 feet tall but you might grow different varieties to us in the UK that might be lower growing.