The Flower Pot

I love to take photographs of flowers and I have a photographic library full of them. As much as I love flowers, especially wildflowers, I am notoriously bad at growing them. I plan to post shots of cultivars and wildflowers in a wide range of colors and from a wide range of places.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cow Killer Ant

*****
I saw a butterfly fluttering around the flowers and went to get a better look and found this; a cow killer ant. I have lived here for 20 years and have never seen or even heard of these before. They are apparently wingless hornets/wasps and can be very dangerous. They can supposedly take down a cow.
For more information on the Cow Killer Ant, click here.
Taken: 7/4/2010
My back yard. Phenix City, AL
*****

2 comments:

Rosie said...

After reading the wiki entry its a scary thought those being in your back yard. Would you have got so close if you'd known what they could do?

Mike B. said...

Yikes- and some think I'm crazy for getting close to bees!